Thursday, January 27, 2011

Yarn Acquired!

The 2011 Special Olympics USA Scarf Project is underway. This year's colors are Red Heart Super Saver #886 Blue and #512 Turquoise. I got my yarn today!

For more information on how to participate, here's a link: http://www.scarvesforspecialolympics.org/ 
I found the "FAQ" section to be very helpful.

I found the turquoise yarn easily at Michael's, but they didn't have the correct shade of blue. They had Royal and Navy, but not 886 Blue. WalMart had both colors, for a cheaper price. Bonus!

Click on "Project Guidelines" for details and free patterns. http://www.scarvesforspecialolympics.org/states
You can knit or crochet your scarves, and any pattern will do as long as you use both colors of yarn. I will be doing a double-strand crochet with a fat hook.  It's easy, and it turns out nice and thick.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the Project Guidelines page, you can choose which state you want to help. It looks like this:









Each state has slightly different requirements for scarf size, number of scarves needed, and submission deadlines. You can support any state you like!

I'll be sending my scarves to the Northern California folks. Their goal is to collect approximately 1,150 scarves for athletes, coaches, volunteers and supporters. As of January 8, they only had 45 scarves. The California shipping deadline is February 25, so that gives me a few weeks to work my magic.  :)

Happy stitching!

1 comment: